Another great month with our first challenge Sew Your Roll. See photos and end of post. Next month’s Sew Your Roll is PINK, BRIGHT, CUFFS.
March is here-any spring sewing yet??
Grainline Studio Tamarack Jacket, View A
Chambray with rayon lining
1. Petite between shoulder and bust but did not shorten length.
2. Quilted horizontal lines 3 inches apart rather than 3.5 as pattern directs.
3. Made bias tape and bound the shoulder and side seams as well as outside edges.
*I am a little late to the party since this pattern debuted in 2016. Before I started this project I checked out galleries and reviews and thought I would give it a try. I love my fabrics but not a fan of the pattern for the following reasons:
-welt and pocket bag instructions make procedure more difficult and messy than necessary
-too many “homemade” construction details
-quilting jacket and then lining would be a better option in my opinion.
Hvar Water Fall Jacket Tee Shirt Remake (worn under jacket)
I did not like the jacket but really liked the fabric so I made a tee that will get a lot more wear.
Closet Case Carolyn Pajama, View A
Seafoam green print rayon
Another late to the party pattern for me!
1. Standard petite adjustments on top. Shortened legs 1 inch between waist and hip and between hip and hem. Also removed 3 inches from hem.
2. Tapered inseam and outside leg seams from knee to hem.
3. Made contrasting piping.
4. Really liked the pocket bag for bottoms.
5. Collar and neck is putsy and this is stated in the instructions. Their reason is for that is eliminating a back neck facing. A homemade look in my opinion.
6. On the pattern envelope View A does not have pipping and cuffs, View B does. The illustrations are the opposite on direction sheet.
I love the fabric but not a fan of the pattern.
Bells of Bells & Whistles, Sewing Workshop
1. Resurrected this pattern from a bucket of UFO’s. Pattern reissued in 2017.
2. Collar manipulated to make best use of stripes. Had fun playing with stripes.
3. Instructions suggested no interfacing so I didn’t. Happy with results.
4. Omitted the flowing tie and cut off center placket at hem instead of dangling.
5. Fairly close fitting for a Sewing Workshop pattern.
Easy Wear/Easy Sew Shirt
Holiday Shirt by Makers Atelier
1. Was hoping for a faux pajama shirt without the fuss of buttons, both in sewing and wearing.
2. Made to pattern but didn’t like the yoke or collar techniques-fussy.
3. Boxy fit but slim sleeve. Liked the collar.
Easy Wear/Easy Sew Shirt #2
Holiday Shirt from Makers Atelier combined with Now Shirt by Sewing Workshop
Mammoth flannel by Robert Kaufman
1. Cut fronts and backs from Now Shirt.
2. Used sleeves and collar from Holiday Shirt (Now Shirt has a very flat sleeve head-Holiday shirt sleeve head is high).
3. Recut center fronts to have 1” seam allowance which continued to collar.
4. Really pleased with the “New” Shirt.
Ruby Joggers by Paprika Patterns
Rayon french terry
1. Made to pattern and then cut down waist by 1”.
2. Techniques great and pattern well drafted. Pattern suggests 10-20% stretch. Stretchier fabric (like mine) can get a little wavy on cross grain seams.
3. Elastic went all the way around because knit was stretchy as directions suggested.
Sew Your Roll-does “garment” override “no bags”? Sewing up UFO’s is definitely within the spirit of the challenge 🙂
Garment Bag copied from a suit bag
Debbie’s challenge garment was a tee to match her new pajamas-
March 2021 Garment Sewing Group
Tuesday, March 9, 10:30
Thursday, March 11, 10:30
Saturday, March13, 10:30