Material Girls Fashion Sewing Club
Woven Pool Dress-Olivia Dress by Style Arc
1. Raised front neckline almost 2 inches.
2. Shortened upper body between bust and shoulder 3/8”.
3. Reshaped shoulders – more curved and not so straight.
4. Cut skirt cross grain so I could use fringe for hem.
5. Needed to put seam in center of upper back due to lack of fabric.
6. Used serge bias edge for neck edge instead of facings.
Knit Pool Dress-Olivia Dress by Style ARC
1. Used same fitting changes for knit version as used in woven version.
2. Replaced neck and armhole facings with contrast knit bands.
Split Hem Pant-Burda 7058, stretch cotton woven
1. Narrowed leg width at hem by one inch.
2. Replaced waist facings with Petersham.
3. Used invisible zipper – the instructions direct you to stitch the side seam between zipper opening and slit then insert zipper. I feel this works so much easier than putting in invisible zipper and then trying to stitch remainder seam without any flaws.
Top with Sleeve Flounce-Vogue 1522, Stretch Woven Blend
1. Removed 1/4 width from front and back neck width.
2. Darted shoulder seam 1/4 inch from shoulder to neck edge.
3. Pattern directs you to do a bias binding on right side of sleeve when attaching flounce – I lacked fabric so I serged flounce to sleeve rst.
Eyelet Sleeve Tee- Burda 6427, View A adapted, Rayon Stripe Knit
1. Shortened front, back and sleeves 3/8” between bust and shoulder.
2. Shortened length one inch and lowered front neckline one inch.
3. Used a neckband rather then a wrapped edge as pattern suggests.
4. For eyelet bottom, measured up from hem of sleeve 9 inches and removed that portion.
5. To form eyelet portion, marked one inch out from center front sleeve at hem. Drew a line to connect upper eyelet portion to hem, added one inch for seam allowance.
6. Stabilize outer edge of bottom sleeve. Clean finish, turn to ws and topstitch.
7. Stitch eyelet bottom to upper sleeve matching open edge to center front of upper sleeve.
8. Install eyelet to sleeves. Connect with purchased or self made ties.
Vogue 9253-Laser cut Faux suede
1. Shortened to hip length.
2. Ommited back zipper and left center front open from waist to hem.
3. Bound center front opening and sleeve hems with suede leather strips.
4. Ommitted self ties.
OBI Belt: Free pattern by Mimi G-Leather hide
1. Very easy to construct and flattering for many body shapes.
2. Turned and topstitched edges. Next time will add embellishments- lots of room for creativity in this simple design.
Pamela’s Patterns Magic Pencil Skirt-Cotton ribbing
1. The fabric was very unstable so cut skirt on less stretchy cross grain.
2. Interfaced fabric using tricot interfacing.
3. Highly recommend this pattern. Well drafted and easy to sew!
1. When pattern was released, I knew this was a must-have look for the beach!
2. Single layer cut pattern pieces to ensure proper print placement. Didn’t want to have a flower in the wrong spot.
3. Had success using rolled hem foot attachment by hemming the top tiers first, then sewing the side seams together. I basted to ensure proper alignment.
4. Pant legs were too large. Highly suggest either sizing down or reducing circumference from hip to hem. I reduced ~3 inches from full hip to hem.
5. Omitted pockets.
1. Made self fabric flower with Terial Magic, a liquid starch that turns fabric into paper-like material. This gave dimension, and the ability to curl and shape the fabric petals.
2. Grosgrain ribbon was embellished with decorative stitch and sewed/glued on to hat.
Trio of Tunics-Simplicity 8138
Ponte knits: 1. Made to pattern-neck is wide and low.
Rayon Challis:1. Raised neck 1.5” at center front and 1”side and back.
Sequins and knit: 1. Raised neck as before.
2. Cut off 5” at hem all around.
3. Serged lining to sequins RST at neck, armhole and front hem. Turned right sides out and then wrapped seam allowances at shoulders. Didn’t work quite as well at hem, but still better than two layers to hem.
4. Tried to do a bit of shaping for swayback on back.
Sweater and Skirt Set-Vogue 1567 Simplicity 1698 OOP/Cotton knit and rayon knit
1. Sweater is fun-can also be worn backwards!
2. Rayon is a great weight for a long skirt-just a little body hugging ☺
Knit Vest-Combination of Butterick 6394 and McCalls 5932 OOP/Wool knit
1. Collar and front facing from M5932 seemed the best for the knit but B6394 had more shaping under arm.
2. Added binding strip to collar neck edge and serged on as one unit.
Mix of Denims Skirt-Burda 6895 and 6598/Assorted denims
1. Omitted waistband and used elastic. Omitted back kick pleat.
2. Was short on fabric so added band from 6598.
Brenda Kinsel blog on adding a third piece-brendakinsel.com
Gudrun Sjödén — A Colourful Universe-at the American Swedish InstituteJuly 27 – October 28, 2018-preview party Thursday, July 26
June Fashion Sewing Club:
Saturday, June 9, 10:30 at Treadle
Tuesday, June 12, 10:30 and 6:30, at Treadle
Thursday, June 14, 10:30 Sr Harris, at Burnsville