Fashion Sewing Club
Simplicity 8635- Polyester woven
1. Sewed View A with View C back
2. Added push up bra cups between bodice and lining
-Ordered from Sew Sassy (online)-great quality http://www.sewsassy.com
3. Lengthened skirt 1”. Next time would add 2”.
Christine Jonson Moto Jacket– Quilted wool knit and leather
1. Graded custom size since it ran large throughout back, sleeves and armscye.
2. Used leather for facings and collar. Loved the look but took extra measures to ensure good look.
a. Used wallpaper roller and tailors board to open seam allowances along with low iron and press cloth.
b. Glued facings back with rubber cement before hand stitching down.
c. Interfaced just the seam edges of leather facing and left the rest interfacing free.
3. Installed snaps with newly purchased snap press machine- highly recommend! http://www.kamsnaps.com
4. Opted to hand stitch hems for fear of stretching out.
Jalie 2806- Rayon knit (very unstable and hard to sew)
1. Great fitting basic tee pattern
2. Stabilized neck, shoulder, and armholes with SewkeysE knit stay tape
3. Serged with a 3 overlock stitch.
4. Shaped hemline and left hems raw (only option).
Simplicity 8380 – cotton lycra knit
1. Sewed view A
2. Lengthened skirt by ~4”
3. This patterns has you install invisible zipper into pocket. This was very difficult. Decided to omit pocket on zipper side.
Mimi G Obi Belt: Stretch Woven
1. Sewed per pattern and inserted grommets.
Knit Stripe Tee Dress-New Look 6428, View A, Cotton Jersey
Quick and easy sew with a few pattern changes:
1. Eliminated zipper , facings and faux welts.
2. Trimmed 3/8” from neck edge and serged a one inch strip of knit to neck edge, rst and wrapping around and over sa. Finished neck edge with cover stitch.
Kimono Jacket– McCalls 7200, view C, without ties, Rayon Challis and Cotton Lawn.
1. Did a Hot Dog or Burrito roll for yoke and shoulder seams.
2. Narrowed width of band by 2”. Pressed wst. Stitched unfinished edge of band to neck edge and center fronts, rst rather than doing pattern slip stitch method.
3. Stitched sleeves to jacket flat method rather than setting in as pattern directs.
4. Took in sleeves at hem by one inch and completed jacket and sleeves with narrow hems.
Morris Blazer- Grainline Studio #14001, Embellished Denim and faux leather.
1. Interfaced as pattern directs except sleeve facings -rather added cuff to sleeves.
2. Placed back on fold to avoid cutting up fabric design.
3. Used walking foot to construct piping from faux leather than applied piping to jacket using zipper foot.
All three dresses are from Burdastyle magazine, issue 7/2018
Batwing Dress #110-rayon knit (tall sizing)
1. Lightweight softly draping dress fabrics recommended in pattern-I chose knit but woven would also work. Rayon gets a bit heavy.
2. Pattern went together very well. Knit was a bit heavy so took in more at shoulder. Pattern sized as tall.
3. Instead of a casing and drawstring I applied a neckband.
Bow Dress #113-border print (average sizing)
1. Dress went together very well. Love the bow detail.
2. Fun summer dress!
Sixties A-line Dress #118 (petite sizing)
1. This one took a little more faith to sew up but went very well.
2. Love the skinny shoulders.
3. Lining issues still under consideration-nothing to sew the horizontal edges to.
September 2018 Fashion Sewing Dates:
Saturday, September 8, 10:30 at Treadle
Tuesday, September 11, 10:30 and 6:30 at Treadle
Thursday, September 13, 10:30 at SR Harris, Burnsville