There’s still Saturday’s meeting at Treadle at 10:30 am.
Highlights from the Saturday and Thursday meetings in November in the spirit of the season-
I’m sure we’ll see more this week at Fashion Sewing Club. What are you sewing??
We’ll be at SR Harris on Thursday 10:30 am and Thursday evening at First Sewing at 6:30 pm.
Here are the photos from last month’s Club, just in case you didn’t make it 🙂
Scroll to the bottom for the dates for December-starting this coming Tuesday!
Fashion Sewing Club-November 2019
Navy/Gray Stripe Tunic
Butterick 6247, View C
Poly Blend Knit Jersey
1. Shortened pattern between shoulder and bust, waist and hip.
2. Raised front neckline 2 inches and removed 2 inches of width from cowl neck piece.
3. I did not construct long sleeve and short sleeve as one as pattern directs.
4. The pattern is easy, quick and fun to make. One could easily lengthen for dress.
Navy Cardi Sweater
Cotton/Jersey with spandex
1. Pattern calls for facing along neck edge and center front. If I use this pattern again I would use a neckband rather than facing. The facing construction was difficult due to the nature of the fabric.
2. Used coverstitch to finish facing and hems.
Navy/Gray Knit Coatigan
Alina Sewing Design Co., Fulton Sweater Blazer
100% wool Double knit; Cotton jersey for facings.
*Pattern description is a sweater blazer but I feel my fabric choice makes it more coatish than sweater.
1. Shortened for petite between shoulder and bust, waist and hips and at hem for knee length.
2. Eliminated pockets, did not interface.
3. The pattern goes together fairly well but it is important to follow collar instructions carefully. The directions for facings at hem are a bit confusing. Also not really necessary for center back seaming since there is no shaping.
Trio of Tees:
Navy Dot- Viscose Knit, McCalls 6964
Japanese Navy Flora, Viscose Lycra, Vogue 9057, View A. Raised back neckline 1 inch.
Art Fair Overlay Tee, Poly and Cotton jersey, McCalls 7247, view C adapted.
Fulton Sweater-Alina Sewing/Design Co.
1. Instructions clearly urge you to a stable knit so it looks coatish as Debbie said.
2. Left some edges raw to deal with bulkiness of seams.
3. Good pattern and instructions.
Wool sweater knit
1. Wanted a close fitting sweater to go over dress. It is!
2. Nice shaping at neckline.
Patchwork Shirt Dress
Sewaholic Granville Blouse
Patchwork cotton/Liberty of London accents
1. Extended hem to make into dress. Chose this pattern for a more shaped silhouette.
2. Loved the Liberty collar and placket. Bulk of patchwork would have been difficult to work around.
1. Great pattern!! Fantastic instructions for a basic garment.
2. On the looser side of fit (sleeves especially) but still a good fit garment for comparison.
3. Adjust as needed for your purposes.
December 2019 Fashion Sewing Club
Tuesday, December 10, Treadle Yard Goods, 10:30
Thursday, December 12, SR Harris, Burnsville, 10:30
Thursday, December 12, First Sewing, Bloomington, 6:30
Saturday, December 14, Treadle Yard Goods, 10:30
All sewing is a great adventure-a garment that you will wear is merely a lucky byproduct of that adventure 🙂
With that in mind, here are some November sewing adventures-there’s still more to come from Thursday’s (11/14) meetings- 10:30 am at SR Harris, Burnsville 6:30 pm at First Sewing, Bloomington
We had a large group on Saturday morning for Fashion Sewing Club!
Lots of ideas from early gifting to babies with some great clothing in between 🙂
Here are the highlights-
Camel Stripe Peplum Shirt
Simplicity 8297, View D
100 % cotton woven
1. The facing was altered as a band for a more shirt-like look.
2. Shortened peplum. Eliminated front pocket.
3. Doubled the yoke and used the Hot Dog construction method.
4. Pattern called for horizontal buttonholes rather than vertical.
5. Used a two-piece cuff to utilize contrast fabric. Also used contrast for neck stand and band trim.
Camel Wrap Coat-Photo to appear soon 🙂
Simplicity 8796, View B
Wool Suiting-Lining 100% Silk
1. Shortened coat between bust and shoulder and between waist and bust.
2. Did a 1 inch narrow shoulder adjustment.
3. Used “soft”tailoring techniques – no hair canvas, used fusible interfacing and tie interfacing for sleeve head.
4. I was surprised how well this pattern went together. The instructions are clear, thorough and illustrated well.
Raglan Stripe Tee
Style Arc Madison Top
1. Shortened between shoulder and bust and between waist and hem.
2. Raised bust darts.
3. I like the cuffs and deep hems. I would make it again but a go down a size.
Center Front Flounce Tee
Sewing Workshop Urban Tee
1. Color blocked to gain more contrast but did not work as I envisioned.
2. This tee isn’t difficult to make especially if you use more modern and efficient sewing knit techniques.
Knit Trim Cardigan-Jacket
Hot Patterns 1209
Sweatshirt fleece, knit trim
1. Great ideas-top/down bust dart, darts on sleeve
2. Sleeve fit was not a drop and not a fitted?
3. Loved the trim-pattern calls for facing so I cut off all edges and added the knit trim.
4. Lost some of the darting and should have just added trim-no trimming-ha!
Split Hem Tee
New Look 6482
1. Trying to achieve a split hem without having flaps right at hip area.
2. Armhole/sleeve is very nice.
3. Pattern markings are off and “split” inset didn’t match at side seam.
Pleat Neck Tee
1. Fun pattern-several options with sleeves.
2. Neck binding was supposed to be a knit bias binding, folds and all
3. Used a wrapped edge instead.
Waist Pleat Tee
1. Another fun knit tee with nice variations.
2. Placement of pleat a suggestion 🙂 may need to move up or down.
3. Interfaced neck facing per instructions-lost the stretch and clingier fit for a vee.
Jalie Eleonore No Zip Skinny Jeans
Stretch woven cotton blend
1. Just the bomb pants pattern-
November 2019 Fashion Sewing Club
Saturday, November 9, 10:30 at Treadle
Tuesday, November 12, 10:30 at Treadle
Thursday, November 14, 10:30 at SR Harris, Burnsville
Thursday, November 14, 6:30 at First Sewing, Bloomington
Fit Workshop, Tues., Oct. 15 or Nov. 5, 12:30-3:30 at Treadle
or Monday, Nov. 11, 10-1 at First Sewing, Blmgtn.
Wardrobe Capsules: Discovery & Planning, Nov. 5 & 12, 6-8 at Treadle
Wardrobe Capsules: Cardigan, Nov. 19 & 25, 6-8 at Treadle
or Thursday, Nov. 7 & 21, 10-12 at First Sewing, Blmgtn.
Jalie All Day (No Zip Pant), Monday, Nov. 25, 10-2:30 at First Sewing, Blmgtn.
Sewing Expo in Puyallup-Feb. 27-Mar. 1-we are going-are you?