Material Girls Fashion Sewing Club, December 2018w
Sweater Knit Dress- New Look 6298, View C without pockets. Poly blend for main garment, cotton blend for neckband.
- This pattern seems to run large so you may want to go down a size depending on your choice of knit fabric.
- I raised the neckline and also increased shoulder length. I need a little more warmth on upper body for winter wear.
- This is a quick make and goes even faster if the order of construction is changed. I stitched sleeves to front and back, applied neckband and then stitched the side seams rather than following pattern directions.
Wool Argyle Sweater Knit Topper –McCalls 6844, View
- 1Pattern calls for a double layer band but I used a single layer to eliminate bulk.
- 2. I removed the seam allowance from the outside edge of the neckband and then stitched neck band at center back. Then I finished the outside edge with fold over elastic.
- 3. I changed the order of construction from pattern directions, stitching front to back at shoulder seams and then stitching the right side of neckband to the wrong side of topper at center fronts and neck edge.
- 4. I added cuffs to the sleeves.Topper was hemmed using fold over elastic.
- 5 Most seams were first basted using walking foot on sewing machine and then serged.
Plaid Ponte Oversized Jacket – Vogue 1571
- Checking pattern finished measurements I went down 2 sizes. I wanted oversize but didn’t want to disappear.
- This jacket is unlined so pattern suggests binding seam allowances – I basted seams and then serged because of fit difficulty and plaid matching.
- If you enjoy puzzles you will enjoy the sleeve application!
Ribbed Sweater Knit Funnel Neck– Sew House Seven, Toaster Sweater Version #2
This is my first time making the funnel neck version of this pattern. It didn’t disappoint. It is a fun, quick and easy make that I will wear often.
Burda Crop Top- Double knit
- Loved the fabric, but needed to interface every pattern piece with fusible knit tricot interfacing. This gave it enough body/heft.
- Cut sleeve cuff and sewed on separately.
- Used french curve to change to a ballet neckline
TNT New Look pants (6532): Double knit
- For pants I used the wrong side of the plaid double knit and interfaced every piece.
Christine Jonson Travel Trio Two Hoodie- Quilted knit & rayon jersey
- Lengthened pattern by 3 inches
- Interfaced rayon jersey to give it more beef. Recommend using two fabrics with similar weight and drape to avoid bagging out at the bottom.
- Added a leather closure & button at waistline.
Jalie Dolman top– rayon jersey
1. Sewed per pattern
Simplicity wrap skirt (8699) – polyester woven
- Sewed view c
- Made self fringe using Angela’s Wolff’s method (2 layers)
- Accented waist with contrasting pleather
- Drafted lining for warmth and body
Christine Jonson Travel Trio Three raglan shirt/turtleneck
- Sewed per pattern this pattern.
Metallic Brocade Jacket-Simplicity 8741, View D-Donna Karan brocade
- Pattern is lined-instead I added a cut-on facing to center fronts. Also used binding at neck edge of collar instead of lining.
- Bust dart, great fit.
Pleated Blouse-Silhouette Patterns #418-Brown polyester ?
- Made to pattern-neck opening definitely needs to be raised about 4” if you don’t want to wear something underneath.
- Neck binding is serged on instead of sandwiched and edgestitched as directed in pattern.
- Didn’t split cuff as pattern suggests either.
- Interfaced facing but wouldn’t again.
Lace Undershirt-KwikSew 3980, View A-Fabric undetermined
- Made to pattern. Only serged bottom hem to eliminate bulk.
- Wrapped shoulder seam edges at neck. Love the lace application and vee neck.
Dressy Pants-Jalie 3243-Rayon velvet
- Made to pattern but lowered waist, eliminated pockets and added elastic (no casing) at waist.
January 2019 Fashion Sewing Club
- Tuesday, January 8, 10:30 and 6:30, Treadle Yard Goods
- Thursday, January 10, 10:30 at SR Harris , Burnsville
- Saturday, January 12, 10:30 at Treadle Yard Goods