Material Girls Fashion Sewing Club
Sew Chic Gatsby Pant- Poly suiting
1. Discovered pattern at Puyallup-fell in love with the high-waisted vintage style pant with ruched high hip.
2. Lengthened pattern by 1 ½”.
3. Adjusted circumference in back center seam-too full. Next time will use a fabric with softer drape.
4. Pattern suggests using boning in center front/side front seam allowances.
5. Can’t wait to sew the skirt version-super cute!
Sew Chic Portrait Blouse- Dress woven blend
1. Fell in love with the oversized portrait collar.
2. Omitted decorative trim down front.
3. Interfaced both upper and under collar to add more body.
4. Like the mobility of the underarm gusset.
McCalls 7892 Sheer Peplum Top– Polyester
1. Sewed View B-Love the peplum & tie!
2. Added snaps at midriff to ensure closure.
3. Serged, turned and stitched hem.
Pamela’s Pattern Magic Pencil skirt
Jalie Dolman Top/Dress – Border print ITY knit
1. Lengthened Jalie Dolman top into maxi dress and added 3/8” onto side seams.
2. Inserted waist seam and eleastic afterwards because border print was landed on an unflattering area. Now I have a midi dress!
3. Finished neckline and hems by serging, turning and stitching.
4. Great basic pattern with lots of room for creativity!
Girls Raglan Pullover with Ponytail Hood, Jalie, Marie-Claude, Cotton Knit
1. The yardage amounts listed for pattern are skimpy especially if using a one way design.
2. Sleeve length is very long before adding cuff.
3. I used knit interfacing to reinforce and stabilize ponytail hole.
4. I changed order of construction by constructing thumb holes in cuff, attaching cuff to sleeve and then sewing underarm and side seams.
5. Pattern includes size 2T all the way to women’s plus sizes!! Great value!
Drape Neck Cardi Two – previously made for February 2019 FSC.
Lightweight cotton knit, Burda 6611, view B or your favorite tee-shirt pattern
1. The length was shortened by 3 inches, sleeves by 1 inch.
2. Neck band rectangle is 46” long by 6” wide.
3. Attaches with buttonholes at top of neck band edge.
Orange Work/Play Sundress, Simplicity 8640, View B, Linen-Cotton Blend
4.Used my size at bust but went down a size below waist – too much fabric for me.
5.Shortened one inch above hip – should have shortened more – I needed to take too much off at hem which was tricky due to angle.
6.Pattern calls for patch pockets but I constructed side seam pockets for more function.
7.I omitted the facings and used bias trim for neck and armhole edges.
Knit Dress with Sleeve Feature, Simplicity 8874, View B with C neckline, Cotton/Lycra
8. Added one inch to front and back bodice.
9.Lowered front neckline and used a contrast wrap edge neck finish instead of neckband.
10.Removed hem allowance from sleeve and did a contrast wrap edge to clean finish hem then sewed underarm seam before attaching to bodice.
Painted Flowers Jacket, StyleArc Harriet Jacket, Scuba knit
1. Omitted collar, shortened sleeves, not sure I’ll put snaps on
2.Fit issue with the back center seam-wanted to flare out. Took in at waist.
3.Hand basted all hems/topstitching as fabric is slippery.
Summer Fun Dress, McCall’s 7348, activewear knit
1. Body of dress is good-length a bit short.
2. Sleeves also short and tight. Maybe a different target market??
3. Worth the sewing!
Art Deco Blouse, Burda 6434, Roberta vintage print
1. Great bias collar
2. Burda directions great as long as you read them ☺
Fit and Flare Skirt, Simplicity 2058, activewear knit
1. Skirt has slim to curvy options. Made for woven but works fine.
2. Side seams stay straight below hip-slimmer silhouette.
June 2019 Fashion Sewing Club Dates:
Saturday, June 8, 10:30 at Treadle Yard Goods, St. Paul
Tuesday, June 11, 10:30 and 6:30 at Treadle Yard Goods, St. Paul
Thursday, June 13, 10:30 at SR Harris, Burnsville