Navy Novelty Knit Flounce Sleeve Dress-Burda 6364, View B, Poly blend.Very easy, straight forward dress to sew.
- Shortened the dress 2 inches. Also shortened the bottom of the sleeve and the top of flounce one inch each each.
- I lined the sleeve flounce with a lightweight navy cotton/lycra blend to hide the black color of the inside of the novelty knit.
Teal/Navy Knit Tunic with Godets- Vogue 9272, View B, Poly blend with Spandex.
- Used navy lightweight knit for the neckband facing because I wanted the contrast to show.
- Did not do the pleats on the front neckband.
- Did not do the split cuff on the sleeves only because I misread the pattern directions.
Grey/White Stripe Tunic –McCalls 7194 (MP457), View A adapted. Poly, Rayon, Cotton and spandex French Terry which is extremely soft and cozy!
- Straightened the sides from hip to hem.
- Added shirt tail curved hem.
- Added cuffs.
Lacy Mock Turtleneck-Burda 6990, Cotton, nylon and spandex blend. Cotton/spandex blend for front and back underlining.
- Determined the finished length of body and sleeves and cut those pattern pieces cross grain to use the selvage as hem finish.
- I decreased the width of the top of the neckband 1/2” less than the bottom of the neckband to acheive a closer fit.
- I basted the wrong sides of the underlining to the wrong side of the lacy knit front and back then constructed tee as pattern directs.
- The hem of the lining is overcast.
- Surprisingly easy to sew with sewing machine and serger, no special tools or techniques required.
Vogue 9349 Ruffle Skirt- Crepe
- 1. Look was inspired by designer Johanna Ortiz.
- 2. Pattern calls for lining ruffles, decided to omit lining and opted for rolled hem. Mockups were too bulky. Also experimented with fish line in rolled hem, but decided that was too much volume.
- 3. Added center back seam in back yoke to accommodate sway back.
- 4. Love the skirt, but not sure the look is “me”.
McCalls 7632 Jumpsuit/Romper- Stretch polyester suiting
- 1. Decided to modify into a crop top to pair with skirt.
- 2. Inserted invisible zipper upside down to open at the waist.
- 3. Free hand drafted extra volume onto the ties.
- 4. Embellished neckline and ties with rhinestones.
Burda 6396 Belt –
- 1. Sewed view B.
- 2. Omitted closure.
- 3. The jury is out on this- need your help to decide whether to wear it with the outfit.
Sihouette Lauren’s Shawl Collar Top – Wool lycra
- 1. Added center back seam and darts for fit.
- 2. Wrapped center front seam allowances with leather.
Silhouette 195 Sweater Set –Cotton lycra knit
- 1. Overdyed cotton knit for more flattering color.
- 2. Experimented with buttonholes in sleeves and inserted fold over elastic into it.
- 3. Lengthened to tunic length.
Burda 6848 T-shirt – Ponte knit
- 1. Added darts in back for fit.
- 2. Modified neckline into scoop using french curve.
- 3. Drafted belt and topstitched leather strip for interest.
New Look 6459 Pants – Ponte knit
- 1. Made pattern before. Love the fit!
- 2. Omitted pockets for fear of gaping.
- 3. Lengthened from cropped to full length pants (appox. 9 inches).
Velvet Burnout Kimono, Simplicity 8553, View D
- Neckband is only interfaced with one layer instead of two. Folded neckband in half and serged on.
- Might be nice if neck is a bit wider at ears.
- Velvet tips: baste seams, pin horizontally, use glue, be patient, don’t press only steam.
Velvet Boatneck, Vogue 9063
- Neckline fits very well.
- Changed the front band because of where it hit on my body. I would do it again. Would like to try it in a knit. Like the drape and shoulder.
No Back Leg Wrinkle Pants, Vogue 1598, Ponte knit
- Made the back leg change (taking in another 5/8” at center of seam).
- Added 4” and took a 1 ¾” hem.
- Pants DO have negative ease. Took 3/8” seam allowances all around.
- Nice waist height-for me.
Brown Rayon Tunic, McCall’s 7122, View A (pictured with kimono)
- Great length and raglan sleeve fit.
- Center back seam for added shaping.
- Length makes rayon drape well as an under layer.
February 2019 Fashion Sewing Club
- Tuesday, February 12 10:30 and 6:30 at Treadle, St. Paul
- Thursday, February 14, 10:30 at SR Harris, Burnsville
- *Note Change* Saturday, February 16, 10:30 at Treadle, St. Paul