Material Girls Fashion Sewing Club, April 2019
Olive/Brown Denim Peplum Zip Jacket, Burda 6334, View B, Stretch Denim
- Pattern calls for lightweight knits, firm jersey or sweatshirt knits so I thought stretch denim would work well.
- Shortened lower fronts and backs one inch and sleeves two inches.
- Pattern calls for shoulder pads but I did not want to use them so I adjusted pattern at shoulders accordingly.
- Added top stitching and changed order of construction by stitching facing and zipper before side seams.
Red Stripe Tie Tee-shirt– McCalls 6964, Cotton/lycra knit
- Straightened side seams for a more boxy look.
- Cut pattern on cross grain to achieve vertical stripe.
- Complete tee and then construct tie: cut a 4-5 inch wide rectangle by the the total circumference of tee plus 16-20 inches for ties. At each end of tie band, sew rst for 6-8 inches for clean finish. Turn rs out and press. About 5” from left side of tee make a vertical snip 1//4” and then again 1 and 1/2 form first snip. Turn sniped area to ws and stitch. Pin unfinished band edge to tee starting at first snip and go around entire tee ending at second snip. You should have 6-8 “ of finished ties ends on each side of snip. Press and topstitch band if desired.
Chambray Dot Classic Blouse– Butterick 6085, view B.
- Narrowed width of collar by 3/4 inch. I should have done this at the neck edge or use a more current pattern!
- Used the Louise Cutting method for one seam collar – no seam on center fronts and back of collar is cut on the bias.
Wrap Ruched tee –Butterick 6628, View C with 3/4 sleeves. Viscose black multi floral knit
Fun and easy and made to pattern.
Pamela’s Patterns Twin Set: Knit and pleather
- 1. Great basic wardrobe pattern- shortened armhole by taking ¼” tuck.
- 2. Turned pleather facing to right side for accent. Kept raw edge and added grommets for interest. Love my KAMsnaps press (DK 93 model) (www.kamsnaps.com)
- 3. Shortened by roughly 2 inches to hit at high hip.
Simplicity 8386 (shell)- knit
1. Sewed per pattern.
Simplicity 8745 (flippy skirt) – knit
- 1. Sewed per pattern.
- 2. Great simple knit straight skirt with flounce!
Katie’s Garments, continued-
Simplicity 8594– Cotton Batik
- 1. Sewed view C
- 2. Great fit and flare summer dress with pockets!
- 3. Bodice needed a lot of fit adjustments. The cup size was much too large for me; I was able to remove fullness in the princess seams.
- 4. Self-covered belt kit was purchased on Amazon. Had problems with belt buckle and ended up giving up- fabric not thick enough for snug fit. Purchased belt buckle instead.
Simplicity 8745 (seamed skirt) bamboo knit
- 1. Sewed view A.
- 2. Loved the exposed seams, but raw edges of my fabric did not curl. I opted to serge them instead.
- 3. Left hem raw.
Angela Wolf Ruched T – bamboo knit
- 1. Highly recommend for basic tee pattern. Lots of design options. Options included for ruching, collar widths, etc.
- 2. Great fitting sleeve.
Kimono, Wiksten Women’s Haori, Double weave cotton, poly lining
- Fussy cut the pattern, very happy with results.
- Easy pattern with clever techniques-went together well.
- Didn’t interface band, not sorry.
- Binding technique used for the band.
Activewear Tee, Burda 6367, poly knit
- Had to try this tee again in a more stable knit than rayon.
- Great slouchy tee.
Jalie Eleonore Jeans, Stretch denim
- Just love this pattern.
- Chalk lines to help turn corners on back pockets.
- Front pockets are easier and look more “real” if you lay pocket under front and topstitch on.
Ruffle Sleeved Blouse, New Look 6434, Embroidered chambray
- Mixed up the pieces but basically to pattern.
- Would shorten length of bodice by a good two inches for a better placement of ruffles.
- May Fashion Sewing Club Meetings
- Thursday, May 9, 10:30 am at SR Harris
- Saturday, May 11, 10:30 at Treadle
- Tuesday, May 14, 10:30 and 6:30 at Treadle