Fashion Sewing Club
Capsule Wardrobe: Loosely followed Nancy Nix Rice’s Wardrobe Worksheet to create a cohesive, interchangeable wardrobe in my personal color palette. Used basic patterns and easy care fabrics to maximize wearability.
Christine Jonson Split Hem Pants: Double knit
- 1. Available as a PDF pattern only from her website: cjpatterns.com
- 2. Recommend sizing up (one size).
- 3. Love center seams in front and back and the split hem is a great style
4. Added 2 ½ inches in length.
Christine Jonson Basewear Two (pencil skirt)- Dress knit
- 1. Runs small, size up.
- 2. Added lining due to weight of fabric.
- 3. Would like better in a more substantial/beefy fabric.
New Look 6381 Palozzo Pants – Nylon spandex print
- 1. This fabric was my inspiration piece for my capsule wardrobe- all colors flowed from my personal color fan
- 2. Used 3 inch wide elastic (what I had on hand). Next time would use 2 inch.
- 3. Lengthened to accommodate wedge sandals, but wasn’t necessary. I love wearing wide-legged pants with heels.
Simplicity 8745 Knit Skirt with Flounce– Nylon Spandex print
- 1. Sewed view D with flounce.
- 2. Left hem raw
New Look 6108 Cowl neck tank– Nylon Spandex print
- 1. Sewed view C.
- 2. Fabulous pattern-great fit and very flattering!
- 3. Cowl is finished with a facing-gives it a clean look and is very functional.
- 4. Highly recommend this pattern for wardrobe staples.
Pamela’s Patterns The Perfect Tank Top– Dress knit
- 1. Great basic fitting tank with flattering V neckline.
- 2. The straps are wide enough to cover bra straps-instructions provided if needing to widen more.
- 3. Darted version included for those with fuller busts.
Pamela’s Patterns Cool Cardigans-Draped Front– Dress knit
- 1. Shortened armscye by ~5/8 by tucking.
- 2. Used SewKeyse double sided fusible stay tape for front, but would not next time-too much body.
Vogue 9358 Marci Tilton Shrug-Activewear knit
- 1. Sewed per pattern and loved the fit, the angled front and cropped back.
- 2. Flattering for my body shape.
Butterick 6206-Activewear knit
1. Sewed per pattern but shorted to knee length.
Border Print Dress-New Look 6145, View C, Textured Stretch Woven with viscose with Lycra
- Shortened 3/8” between bust and shoulders and overall length 2”.
- Cut pattern on the cross grain to take advantage of the border band.
- Constructed garment as a knit.
- Omitted zipper, interfacing and facing. Stitched rs of collar to ws of neck edge.
Asymmetrical Overlap Tee with Buttons-McCalls 7247, View B. cotton interlock for overlap and one sleeve, jersey rayon/spandex for remainder.
- Reduced width of band by one inch.
- Constructed tee following pattern and added 5 buttons.
- Quick and easy sew!
Tee-shirt with Shaped Hem and Contrast Sleeves-Vogue 9057, View E
- This is a tried and true pattern that has great fit and lots of design options.
- Another quick and easy sew.
Iris Knit Top-Busan Top by Itch to Stitch, Heathered Jersey, with poly, viscose and spandex
- Shortened length by one inch.
- I feel this pattern runs large so be sure to compare your measurements to finished measurements. I went down 2 sizes.
- I especially like the narrow shoulder and will copy that with other favorite tees.
Pants – Burda 7058. This is my favorite pants pattern at the moment. It is suited for wovens and stretch wovens , however this time I tried a heavy weight Ponte and am pleased with the results. I omitted the zipper and copied a ready-to-wear method for an elastic waist.
Serape Lounging Sweater, Hot Patterns 1242
Fleeced sweater knit/ponte for bands
- Omitted bottom band and added slits and a two level hem.
- Used wool thread in looper of overlock for topstitching.
- Stitched down the front overlap.
Favorite Raglan Turtleneck
Butterick 6389, rayon knit
- Made to pattern-love the knit bands at wrist
- Made to pattern