February Garment Sewing Group

Here are the garments Debbie and I made for February. Inspiration from all of you will follow soon…

 Debbie’s Garments:

Love Notions Olympia Dress

Teal/Navy Fit and Flare Dress

Cotton Jersey

1. I Did my standard petite adjustments between shoulder and bust and shortened hem length by 1.5 inches.

2. I eliminated the pockets and tapered the sleeves one inch at hem.

3. The construction of the neckline is unique but also very easy and quick. Jalie has a top pattern with a similar neck line construction that creates a lined bodice. I think the two techniques could be interchanged especially if you have light weight fabric.

4. Very pleased with this dress I would like to make another but there are so many other patterns to try!

Jalie Nicole Dress

Teal/Gray Pocket Tunic/Dress

Viscose, rayon, spandex ponte

1. I wanted some “everyday “ easy, casual, polished and warm garments and a dress from   Artful Home became my inspiration.

2. I did my petite and shortening adjustments as usual.

3. Pocket – I determined the size of the two rectangles used for pockets and added seam allowances. Then I clean finished the sides of both pockets. I stitched the small pocket to the large pocket leaving top of pocket open. I used Wonder Under fusible to then attach the large pocket to dress. I also stitched around all sides of large pocket. It took a lot longer to think about what process to use than to actually sew the pockets to the dress.

4.  The inspiration dress does not have a mock neck or long sleeves but this is Minnesota and the Jalie dress pattern is very accommodating for our climate!

5.  Once pocket was attached I continued construction as pattern directs.

McCalls 8022

Brick Tunic/Dress with Contrast Trim

Viscose rayon, spandex Ponte

1. I always start with my fit adjustments-petiting and shortening length.

2. I did not care for the collar on the pattern so again I made a mock T neck. To give the dress a bit of contrast I cut the neck pattern piece in half and added seam allowance. The outside of the mock is Ponte and the inside is cotton jersey. The contrast is created by stitching the upper edge and then wrapping the jersey over the Ponte seam allowance.

3. The contrast on sleeve hem is created by stitching RS of contrast jersey to WS of sleeve.

4. The instructions suggest using fusible tape for the hem. I do not find that tip often in the big four pattern companies.

Kristin’s Garments:

Giselle from FibreMood

Last Quilted Jacket

Wool, linen, wool knit, wool batting

1. Although puffer jacket was my inspiration, my choice of fabrics certainly didn’t reflect it!

2. Cut to pattern and then shortened by two inches when finished.

3. Resorted to my old quilt habits and quilted the back piece from center out to minimize the fabric/layer movement.

4. Changed the collar to a knit band and am very happy I did-warm, not stiff.

5. The zipper placket and zipper guard went together very well although a bit thick at seam crossings. Made it look more ready to wear.

6. A fun journey but done quilting for the year 🙂

Tabor Vee View 4 Sew House Seven/Hudson Pant from True Bias

Pajama Set

1. Wanted to give the Tabor a try with sleeves. Very happy with them-snug fitting sleeves but loose body.

2. Vee neck fits closely around neck so not too cold for winter!

3. Hudson Pant is my go-to knit jogger pattern. Added another inch to length and omitted pockets.

New Classes in March:

Jackets, Cardigans, Coatigans-Wednesdays, March 2, 9, 16, 1-3 pm at Treadle Yard Goods

March 2022 Garment Sewing Group

Wednesday, March 9, 10:30, Lakes Makerie, Minneapolis

Thursday, March 10, 10:30, First Sewing, Bloomington

Saturday, March 12, 10:30, Treadle Yard Goods, St. Paul

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s