Garment Sewing Group Meetings (all at 10:30):
Treadle Yard Goods, Wednesday, Feb. 9
First Sewing (and Fabric Swap), Thursday, Feb. 10
Treadle Yard Goods, Saturday, Feb. 12
And some of what you may have missed in January-
Garment Sewing Group
Navy Sheath Dress with Leather Trim
1. Did several shortening petite adjustments as well as straightening side seam at hip area – too curvy for me.
2. I did not want the leather yoke against my skin so I basted the leather piece on top of dress front and treated it as one piece.
3. I used very light interfacing on front facings, under stitched the back facing and stitched in the ditch at shoulders to secure facing to dress.
4. Glue stick, quilt clips and a leather sewing machine needle made sewing the leather a breeze. A fun project!
Navy Blazer with Leather Faux Welt Pocket
1.I enjoyed making the Shawl Collar Metra Blazer last spring so I thought I would give the Lapel version a try. I also had some leather left over from the Tessa sheath which could add just a bit more style to a fun topper.
2. I did not use any interfacing and because my machine did not like sewing on the ponte I used Steam a Seam for sleeves and jacket hems.
Purple Print with Rib Jacket
1. Although I admire Linda Lee’s work and products I hesitate to use her patterns because so many are oversized – not my jam. However when I saw reviews for her bomber jacket I couldn’t resist. I did my standard petite adjustments and dove into constructing the jacket.
2. I did not interface facing – pattern does not suggest using it. I did stabilize zipper seam allowances – not part of pattern instructions.
3. Step #9 is a bit confusing because the dot on the pattern is not labeled. The sleeves are set in but I did flat construction. The back collar is supposed to be slip stitched but I machine stitched. I was surprised at the lack of the finishing construction details such as stitching in the ditch or topstitching.
Stitch Upon a Time Ursula Leggings/Black cotton/spandex jersey
1. Made a size XL to pattern with the gusset (still perfecting the stitching of gussets:) Made the Midrise version-very good fit with the stretch of my fabric. Skinny at ankles, crotch length great. Very much a legging pattern in this knit-no bags or wrinkles.
2. Pattern also includes yoga and maternity waistband and a sewn in skirt.
Tabor Vest Plus
1. I wanted to make another Tabor but wanted something longer so I hacked the bottom section of the Annika Top in a contrasting wool.
2. I can’t say enough about the vee on the Tabor. First time worked perfectly.
3. Topstitched to keep seams flat.
1. The pattern only gives directions for using prequilted fabric so I went to the Tamarack Jacket from Grainline Studio for more specifics.
2. FibreMood patterns must be traced and seam allowance added. Directions were clear.
3. Fabric sandwiches were quilted as cut-if I did it again I would cut everything bigger. I lost about a quarter of an inch, which isn’t bad.
4. All seams were hong kong finished.
5. The back neck seam was tall and pushed my head forward (muslin did not show this) so I opened the seam and added a triangle before finishing the outer edges.
6. Belt is to be quilted but because the fabric was already pleated, I omitted this.
7. I cut one inch off hem because one of the fabrics was short.
1. The fun shoulders called to me and I answered 🙂
2. Shoulder cap is square, sewn together and triangle folded to shoulder edge.
3. Neck band was on the short side.
4. I eliminated the hem band and added for a longer tee.
5. Nicely drafted.