July was such an amazing month for inspiration from all of you that our garments feel like an after thought but here goes :))
Summer Blouse, Burda 6914, Gray silk print
1. Made to pattern-love the dart placement. Great summer top for drapey fabric.
2. Forgot to trim 3/8” from neck edge-Burda learning opportunity!
Summer Shirt, Melody Dolman from Love Notions, Rayon stripe
1. Made to pattern-should have added at hips.
2. Sleeve cuff is sewn on and then flipped up-I didn’t like that look so let it hang.
3. Serged the collar on all the way across neck instead of pattern directions for back neck.
4. Kalle Shirt from Closet Core is similar-this shirt is everywhere in RTW.
Shirt Dress, Helmi Trench Shirt and Dress from Named Patterns, Stretch shirting
1. Measured favorite JJill shirt and tried to copy.
2. Ended up with a bit more ease at hips than may be necessary.
3. Added vertical tucks to back to bring in a bit.
4. Moved waist seam up two inches to copy JJill.
5. Made collar a right angle instead of curve at neck edge-this is the narrow version-pattern includes a collar that will fold over.
6. Omitted the hidden placket. Quick and easy “fold twice and topstitch” placket-as long as your fabric is acceptable on wrong side.
7. This will be a favorite pattern!! Sleeves and shoulders fit well!
8. Factory Dress from Merchant & Mills is similar.
Black Hem Slit Pants, Love Notions Sabrina Slims Pant, Rayon blend ponte
1. I made View A-flat front and eliminated front and back pockets. Since this was my first make from this pattern I wanted to just do the basic to determine alterations and Ethan consider options such as the seaming down the front and back, zips at leg bottom and welt pockets in the future.
2. This was quick and easy. Great directions and construction techniques.
3. I will need to remove some length between my bottom and knee and knee and hem. I will also decrease the width of the waistband. I find 2” is too wide and I prefer 1.5” elastic so waistband needs adjusting. Upper side seams are a little too curvy for me so I straightened them about 6”from the hip toward the hem.
(See photo above)
Purple Print Top With Contrast Trim, New Look 6808, View A, adapted, Rayon twill for shirt body, linen blend for contrast
1. A TNT pattern that meets my needs every once in awhile. I like the fish eye darts on front and back for shaping.
2. Instead of facing for the neck edge I did a serged bias wrapped edge. I replaced the slit hemmed sleeves and added cuffs to break up the busy print.
Camel Herringbone Woven Joggers, Jalie Vanessa Fluid Pants, Linen blend (cotton or rayon?)
1. This is my fourth make from this pattern and I can see more coming. My first pair was a navy rayon blend made to pattern without cuffs. For May I used a light weight denim with cuffs but did not add draw string. I used a light weight French terry for the third pair. Even though I went down a size a more stable knit like a ponte would be better. I use that make for pj’s-I will stick with wovens from here on out.
2. I made the following fit adjustments-increased back darts by 1/4”, increased CB seam 5/8” from waist to crotch curve and narrowed width of waistband 1/2”.
3. Again, no draw string-flat center front which eliminates bulk.
(See photo above)
Border Print Raglan Tee-Butterick 6207, View A w/o band-Rayon jersey
1. This pattern is great for a quick and easy tee that has some shape and flows.
2. The fabric makes the tee but I didn’t want it to be too much so I worked around the print for solid sleeves and band. Another TNT pattern.