Here are the photos from last month’s Club, just in case you didn’t make it 🙂
Scroll to the bottom for the dates for December-starting this coming Tuesday!
Fashion Sewing Club-November 2019
Navy/Gray Stripe Tunic
Butterick 6247, View C
Poly Blend Knit Jersey
1. Shortened pattern between shoulder and bust, waist and hip.
2. Raised front neckline 2 inches and removed 2 inches of width from cowl neck piece.
3. I did not construct long sleeve and short sleeve as one as pattern directs.
4. The pattern is easy, quick and fun to make. One could easily lengthen for dress.
Navy Cardi Sweater
Cotton/Jersey with spandex
1. Pattern calls for facing along neck edge and center front. If I use this pattern again I would use a neckband rather than facing. The facing construction was difficult due to the nature of the fabric.
2. Used coverstitch to finish facing and hems.
Navy/Gray Knit Coatigan
Alina Sewing Design Co., Fulton Sweater Blazer
100% wool Double knit; Cotton jersey for facings.
*Pattern description is a sweater blazer but I feel my fabric choice makes it more coatish than sweater.
1. Shortened for petite between shoulder and bust, waist and hips and at hem for knee length.
2. Eliminated pockets, did not interface.
3. The pattern goes together fairly well but it is important to follow collar instructions carefully. The directions for facings at hem are a bit confusing. Also not really necessary for center back seaming since there is no shaping.
Trio of Tees:
Navy Dot- Viscose Knit, McCalls 6964
Japanese Navy Flora, Viscose Lycra, Vogue 9057, View A. Raised back neckline 1 inch.
Art Fair Overlay Tee, Poly and Cotton jersey, McCalls 7247, view C adapted.
Fulton Sweater-Alina Sewing/Design Co.
1. Instructions clearly urge you to a stable knit so it looks coatish as Debbie said.
2. Left some edges raw to deal with bulkiness of seams.
3. Good pattern and instructions.
Wool sweater knit
1. Wanted a close fitting sweater to go over dress. It is!
2. Nice shaping at neckline.
Patchwork Shirt Dress
Sewaholic Granville Blouse
Patchwork cotton/Liberty of London accents
1. Extended hem to make into dress. Chose this pattern for a more shaped silhouette.
2. Loved the Liberty collar and placket. Bulk of patchwork would have been difficult to work around.
1. Great pattern!! Fantastic instructions for a basic garment.
2. On the looser side of fit (sleeves especially) but still a good fit garment for comparison.
3. Adjust as needed for your purposes.
December 2019 Fashion Sewing Club
Tuesday, December 10, Treadle Yard Goods, 10:30
Thursday, December 12, SR Harris, Burnsville, 10:30
Thursday, December 12, First Sewing, Bloomington, 6:30
Tuesday, August 13, 10:30, Treadle Yard Goods (no Tuesday evening meeting)
Thursday, August 15, 10:30, SR Harris, Burnsville (yes, this is the 3rd Thursday 🙂
Second, the good/bad news:
KATIE IS MOVING TO NORTH CAROLINA! We are happy for her family’s new opportunities but sad to say goodbye. She’s busily getting ready for this month’s move. Her energy, style and smile will be missed-best of everything, Katie!
Third, the ask:
Have you ever wanted to get up in front of everyone and present your garments/latest foray into fashion sewing? Consider signing up to present at a Fashion Sewing Club meeting! You would do just what we do for one month-sew and present 3-5 garments at our four Club meetings and get paid-just like us. It could be a wardrobe capsule, variation on a theme, several patterns from one designer, etc.
Call or email us to sign up!! We are excited to try something new–
(Thanks for the idea-you know who you are ;))
And last, the photos from July:
Butterick 6621, View C
New Look 6231, View B
Tee-McCall’s 6207, Pants-Burda 7058
Drape front cardigan, Butterick 6389 hacked
StyleArc Evie Knit Top
Simplicity 8474 skirt
Shirred Tee-Burda 6910, View A
Next up: Inspiration from YOU at the July meetings-
May Club saw many of us sewing for warmer weather. Above, Katie used a simple pattern, the Jalie Dolman Top/Dress with a bit of fussy cutting to make a knit dress that can go many places.
Debbie is ready for sun in her linen version of Simplicity 8640. She swapped out the patch pockets and added inseam pockets instead.
Sew Chic was at the Puyallup show and caught Katie’s attention-this is the Gatsby Pant and Portrait Blouse. Score!
Kristin had fun mixing patterns with the Harriet Jacket from StyleArc in a scuba knit and Burda 6434 in a vintage silk print. The skirt is Simplicity 2058 in an activewear knit. Perfectly packable!
All of the above patterns and more are reviewed under the “Club Sheets and Garment Photos” heading in the menu bar. Our next meetings will be June 8 and 11 at Treadle Yard Goods and June 13 at SR Harris, Burnsville.
Garments shown by Club attendees-
In the Studio Jacket-Lois Ericson
Several versions of the Madrid Top from Sewing Workshop
Cindy Jeans Jacket from StyleArc
Wiksten Shift Dress/Top and Valencia Pant from Sewing Workshop
Pembroke Top from Cashmerette
Slim 4 Piece Yoga Pant from Silhouette Patterns
Thanks to everyone for coming to our May meetings-can’t wait to see what you’ve been sewing for June!
Fashion Sewing Club kicks off this Thursday at SR Harris in Burnsville! Following FSC dates at Treadle. Hope to see you and your creativity there.
Thursday, Nov. 8th at 10:30a, SR Harris (Burnsville)
Don’t forget-we’re offering our Sew It Fits class at 1 pm!!
Register here– Saturday, Nov. 10th at 10:30a, Treadle Yard Goods Tuesday, Nov. 13th at 10:30a & 6:30p, Treadle Yard Goods
Here’s a few more photos from last month’s club. Enjoy!
And it was a very special treat to meet up with Madeline, one of our high school students who is now attending Esmod Fashion School in Paris!
It was a wonderful trip and now it’s time to get back to sewing and classes-
October 2018 Fashion Sewing Club Dates:
Tuesday, October 9, 10:30 and 6:30 at Treadle
Thursday, October 11,10:30 at SR Harris, Burnsville
Saturday, October 13, 10:30 at Treadle
Classes at Treadle Yard Goods
Fit Studio, Tuesdays, October 9,16, 23 and 30, 1:00-3:30
Basic Sergery and Beyond, Tuesdays, October 16, 23, 30, 6:00-8:00
Before Buying a Serger, Tuesday, October 30, 11:00-12:00
Kids’ After School Sewing, Tuesdays, October 9, 16, 23, and 30, 4:15-5:45
Classes at JoAnn Fabric, Yorktown, Edina
Sew Social, Thursdays, October 11, 18, 25, 1:00-4:00
Sew Studio, Mondays, October 8, 15, 29, 6-9 pm
French Seam Pillowcase, Monday, October 15, 1:00-3:30
Seam Sewing Techniques, Monday October 15, 5:30-8
Thursday, October 25, 9:30-12:00
Sew With Denim, Monday, October 15, 5:30-8:30
Sew With Velvet and Faux Fur and Suede, Thursday, October 18, 9:30-12:30
Comfy Pants, Monday, October 22, 5:30-9:00
Sew With Zippers, Monday, October 22, 5:30-8:30
And Thursday, October 25, 9:30-12:30
Kids’ After School Sewing, Thursdays, October 11, 18 and 25, 4:30-6:00