Judging from the photos we have a pretty good time at our meetings! We had a large group at the Sewing Lounge and then a LARGE group of free fabric at First Sewing-and many people went home with a bagful 🙂
Thanks for being there!! Lots of new faces and a few we hadn’t seen for some time…
Purple Print Empire Waist Dress
Itch to Stitch Recoleta Dress
1. Did not do any petite adjustments but shortened length 3 inches.
2. I felt the print needed to be broken up a bit so I added piping around neckband- not fun.
3. Adding a zipper is optional but I disagree with that. Even with zipper I find the dress difficult to put on and take off.
4. I have a difficult time choosing what size to make when using Itch to Stitch patterns. They seem to run large on bodice but smaller at hips. I am sure it is just me but I think I will stay away from this brand for awhile .
Soft Coral Print Cut On Sleeve Blouse
Melody Dolman by Love Notions
1. I did my petite adjustments between shoulder and bust, bust and waist and shortened one inch at hem.
2. I used the one piece collar method from Louise Cutting for collar. It eliminates seams at collar edge. I also softened the shirt tail curve on hem.
3. The directions for inside collar are good, easy and quick and eliminates slipstitching.
4. I feel the blouse fits nice but next time, depending on fabric choice, I would XS shoulders to medium at hips.
5. There will be a next time. Love Notions patterns work well for me.
Oatmeal/Coral Print Sweatshirt
95% Cotton 5% Spandex French Terry 4-way stretch
1. I made this tee last year and was pleased with it. The angled front design line is showing up everywhere so with a few changes I am already thinking of my next make using this pattern.
2. I did my standard petite adjustments.
3. I extended the short sleeve into long sleeve length .
4. I topstitched the angle seam for contrast.
Jalie Vanessa Joggers
1. A TNT pattern that I make often.
2.The changes I make from the original pattern is a one piece waistband without the drawstring feature and no fly front detail.
1. Looking for sun protection and comfort. Quarter zip was pretty straightforward-reinforce the area with interfacing, stitch over stitching line, clip to inside corners, sew each side of zipper and tuck in the triangle at bottom.
2. Pattern called for sewing ribbon to the inside of zipper but used bias strip instead-easier to stitch to raw edge and pressed easily for less bulk.
3. Pattern called for stitching one band on then turning under edges of other and topstitching but with chosen fabric I serged the whole band on and topstitched seam allowance down.
Cold Sewing Day Sweater
Jalie Romy Pattern
Wool knit remnants
1. Very quick sew with only two pattern pieces (sleeve and front/back) and because of that the fit at the neck could use a good forward shoulder adjustment.
2. Instead of adding band, I cut pattern longer to equal band and made a deep hem.
3. Underarm curve and sleeve is to pattern.
4. Funnel neck is nice and their technique of sewing the seam allowances together to keep neck in place is a technique I will use again.
Faux Wrap Skirt (pictured above and below)
New Look 6646
1. Not enough fabric to make the wrap to pattern and didn’t really want the free swinging wrap anyway.
2. Cut the front 2.5” wider and stitched a 1.25” pleat in the position of the wrap hem.
3. Basic straight skirt with back darts. Omitted the waistband and stitched on elastic.
Peplum Sweater Jacket
1. Loved the photo so had to give it a try. Instead of facings and linings I added a band at the neck and a band at center fronts so I had overlap for closure.
2. Lots of seams for knit but a fun adventure in fitting.
3. Lighter weight ponte was perfect fabric choice.
May 2022 Garment Sewing Group
Wednesday, May 11, 10:30, Ginny’s in Rochester
Thursday, May 12, 10:30, First Sewing, Bloomington
Saturday, May 14, 10:30, Treadle Yard Goods, St. Paul