Our next Basic & Beyond Sergery class starts next Thursday, June 30 at 10 am at First Sewing, 494 and Penn! The class continues July 7 and 21. Go to “Classes at First Sewing” in the menu bar to register.
June Garment Sewing Group:
1. This is an unlined jacket so my first step was to draft lining pattern pieces. The sleeves are underlined. Also a dart in the sleeve creates a 2 piece look which I like. It eliminates a lot of bulk.
2. I did petite between shoulder and bust, did a narrow shoulder adjustment but did not shorten length because it is a cropped style.
3. Due to the texture of the main fabric I only interfaced the under collar.
4. Also due to the texture of the fabric I did not top stitch.
5. This pattern is from 2015. It was a fun make and I also decreased my pattern collection.
1. As always I did my petite adjustments but did not shorten the hem length – this is a crop length shirt.
2. The pattern envelope gives yardage for a skirt. There is no skirt in this pattern – maybe a typing error. That should have been my first clue that the pattern had some flaws.
3. The neckband is too short for neck and the directions for collar insertion are poor.
4. The only feature different from my TNT blouse pattern is the “cuff”.
Navy Gingham Pants, Burda 7062, Gingham with Bemberg lining, see photo above
1. This pattern is from 2013 and has been updated in the catalog.
2. I eliminated the side slits and added a lining.
3. This is a TNT for me and it will stay in pattern collection.
Coral “Scraps” Blouse
1. I did my standard petite adjustments and removed 2 inches from the length. I also softened the shirt tail hem and removed length from there as well. The designer is tall!
2. I raised the v-neck 1 inch.
3. I changed construction steps because I wanted to have the neck band on the rs of the blouse. I used the shorten/lengthen line to determine the the length of back top and bottom.
4. I chose this pattern because of the lantern sleeve. I am not fan of v-neck blouses but I thought I would give it a try anyway.
5. It was a fun make even though the construction techniques are kind of putsy and 1/2 seam allowances are used – WHY?!
1. Pattern includes lining but didn’t want to lose the stretch of fabric so just used facings.
2. Very large pleat in back was topstitched through all layers-directions had it hanging loose-I wanted a bit more of a “yoke line” to copy garment.
3. Center front overlap was eliminated so no closure. Corners at collar were rounded.
4. This pattern was previously made in fleece. Fits surprisingly well (no forward shoulder needed, bust dart in proper place, sleeve is great.
Brick Summer Pants, Vanessa Fluid Pants/Jalie Patterns, Silk blend fabric? See photo below
1. Added 3” to length-omitted cuff.
2. Darts are extended 2” for a lower seat 🙂
3. Waist band is made into one continuous strip eliminating seams and tie.
4. Great pants pattern-TNT!
1. Made to pattern as the hip area is already wider.
2. Neck binding is supposed to be turned all the way under, I like wrapping the serged edge.
3. Center back seam has waist shaping but the opening isn’t necessary to get blouse on. I just sewed the button on permanently.
4. Several sleeve variations. Great summer woven tee with a dart.
5. Great fit for my body!
Take Me Back to Eddie Bauer, Classic Tee/Love Notions, Green cotton/lycra knit crew neck
1. Shortened length 2”.
2. Both necklines are great depthwise. Vee is quite pointed and the rayon fabric didn’t help. Pattern also includes a scoop neck and all sleeve length variations.
3. Definitely a TNT!
July 2022 Garment Sewing Group
Saturday, July 9, 10:30, Treadle Yard Goods, St. Paul
Wednesday, July 13, 10:30 Lakes Makerie, Mpls
Thursday, July 14, 10:30, First Sewing, Bloomington and Fabric Swap 🙂