A few photos from the Saturday meeting at Quilter’s Haven-
And Debbie and Kristin’s garments-
1. The only fitting adjustment needed was narrow shoulder. Unfortunately I cut the dress length too short – need to wear it with leggings.
2. I added a lining to the back yoke and used the burrito method to construct.
3. This was a fun make. The pattern offers several choices for length, sleeves and bodice. The Chambray fabric was easy to work with.
1. IS patterns work well for me generally. I did not do any petite adjustments. Since I eliminated the bottom band I increased the body length pattern pieces by one inch.
2. The directions call for clear elastic for the shirring on side. I found that the gather stitches alone worked well so I did not use the elastic.
3. The pattern instructions are clear and concise and the fabric was great to work with.
Love Notions Duet Trousers, Stretch Denim
1. This is my second try at this pattern. The fabric choice makes a difference in sizing. The stretch denim I used was poor quality and shrunk 4 inches when I washed it. Live and Learn!
2. I eliminated the front pockets due to lack of fabric. I used the curvy waistband pattern piece instead of the straight piece.
3. The pattern can be used for stretch woven and stable knits.
4. I am not thrilled with this make. I will try a stable knit next time and then move on.
1. I petited the pattern between shoulder and bust and shortened the length by 2 inches.
2. The pattern has great construction techniques. There is an option for vertical darts which I chose to do. I also shortened the width of the cuff.
3. The pattern is a little out of my comfort zone but I am glad I gave it a try. I think it would be a fun special occasion top.
Jacket, Burda 6114
1. Made size 16/18 at hip. Sizing seemed great.
2. Folded 3/4” out of collar lengthwise. Collar is taller in front, probably would change that in future jackets as it just stands up and doesn’t seem to want to lay in a “collarly” fashion. Didn’t interface.
3. Pockets according to pattern were just a passing thought-instead cut 6×9” rectangles and 3 layers so that anywhere the pocket showed would be my knit print. Pockets went from seam to seam and were topstitched through outer fabric across the top. Very happy with them.
4. Changed up zipper installation-folded collar and hem over zip, stitched and turned right side out. Very important (I think): handbasted from pocket top up and down to ensure all meeting points were happy.
5. Left sleeve hems very deep (sleeves were 2”+ too long) so white wrong side of scuba doesn’t show.
Midi Length Knit SkirtRavinia Skirt/Love NotionsCotton knit
1. Oh, my, how could I have been so blind!! I had traveled down the Instagram/email rabbit hole and saw this pattern which matched a picture I had cut out of a catalog numerous times!! How could I have missed the photos of the test garments?
2. But the skirt was already cut out so sew it I must. It isn’t so bad-I knew it was an a-line skirt and that the waist band had negative ease (5-7”) but I didn’t understand that the waist edge of the skirt also had the same negative ease. I was hoping for a few tucks and pleats as the waistband was stretched to meet the skirt. Nope-I had to stretch the skirt to fit the waistband that I cut out two sizes larger to accommodate the fact that my waist was larger than the pattern measurements (not a problem if the skirt is gathered into the negative ease waistband!)
3. The gathered pocket went in well and to be fair there are some funny puckers in my inspiration picture where gathers go all the way to waist.
4. I added 4” to the calf length of the skirt. A narrow elastic is applied to the top waistband seam for extra security.
5. If I make this again, I will get rid of the A-line and add fabric at waist so it has gathers all around 🙂
6. So I went home Wednesday night and made another skirt, this time using the full 60” width of the fabric as my skirt and applying the pockets and gathering the 60” to the negative ease waistband. Now that’s what I had in mind!!
1. Made size medium to pattern except for a few construction changes.
2. Seam allowances are 3/8” which makes it a little trickier to serge seam allowances and sew seams but I wanted a nice flat press.
3. Pattern instructions assume you will do things and doesn’t tell you to-understitching facing, finishing facing edges, pleats should have been basted to make pressing easier, etc.
4. There’s a tiny slit in sleeve opening (cuff edge) that may be to allow for more ease but it’s pretty small and not shown on pattern.
1. Both are patterns I’ve made before. The Vogue pattern was quite recent-this time I cut off the folded facing and banded the whole opening. Much better and less fussy than the folded facing.
2. The Burda pattern always feels like home to me-shoulders are a bit dropped but not too much. The whole thing feels like a cozy sweatshirt that wears a bit more like a long sleeve tee.
1. Had to try this pattern again in something a bit more basic than the other patch work one. Still like it. No changes. Goes together well.
June Garment Sewing Group
Thursday, June 8, 10:30, First Sewing, Bloomington
Saturday, June 10, 10:30, Sewing Lounge, St. Paul
Wednesday, June 14, 10:30, Lakes Makerie, Minneapolis