Garment Sewing Group/November 2022
My Jacket of Mistakes and Disappointments! What Happened?
– Chose the wrong size
– Not enough fabric thus knit sleeves with woven main fabric and unlined sleeves – needed to adjust lining construction
– Cut off too many zipper teeth and lost pull when testing and needed to rip out and insert again –
– It is a tailored jacket and I wasn’t prepared for that
– omitted zipper welt pockets
– too much in a hurry and so much more!
I like this jacket pattern. The directions are very detailed and well illustrated. The method of attaching the lining without any hand sewing is terrific. I will give this a try again but not for a long time.
1. This is TNT pattern for me but I am ready to try something new.
2. I like the contrast band even though it is black. The only thing I would do differently would be to sew the band to the center front right sides together so the black fabric would be exposed and not the ws of the print.
1. Another TNT pattern for me but again, ready to try something new.
1. So I tried something new and I didn’t do well.
2. I did shorten the length between shoulder and bust on front, back and sleeve. I also lengthened the short version of the sweater by 2”.
3. I feel I should have used a more stable sweater knit.
4. I constructed the sweater with the serger and tried topstitching the bands using a walking foot but that did not work well – needed a more stable knit.
5. I gave up on buttonholes after trying Solvy and sticky back stabilizer to no avail.
6. The sweater is no longer a cardigan since I sewed the bands closed with buttons – it works.
1. Had to try one of the versions of the short cardigan. This one is a raglan-probably cut along the lines of their Romy pattern.
2. No hem band or back neck facing. Wrapped seams used very effectively.
3. Had fun using stash pieces.
1. Looking for a fuller-at-hem tee to layer under garments.
2. This is a size large-narrow across shoulders. Close fit through bust and back.
1. A new pattern that I just had to try. Blakandblanca Instagram photo inspired me. Wide leg and tapered leg version. I made a size 16 in wide leg version.
2. Directions are great. Everything came together. The pleat is a bit different and I’d love to see someone else’s version of it.
3. Discovered the bar tack feature on my sewing machine.
4. Omitted welt pockets and side tabs.
5. Fit worked very well. Lots of trouser features (fly shield!)-unfortunately most of them are invisible to the general public 🙂 A slower sew but worth it in the end.
November 2022 Garment Sewing Group
Thursday, December 8, 10:30 at First Sewing, Bloomington
Saturday, December 10, 10:30, Treadle Yard Goods, St. Paul
Wednesday, December 14, 10:30 at Lakes Makerie, Mpls.