Corduroy and shirt style seemed to be a theme this month-
Garment Sewing Group
Rustic Fall Print Shirt Dress
McCalls 7470, View B
Fine wale corduroy
- This pattern caught my eye due to the shoulder princess seams – which often times makes fitting easier. My standard fitting adjustments worked well.
- It is a Palmer/Pletsch pattern so there is a great amount of fitting and construction detail.
- I made the following construction changes: burrito roll for yoke, button placket ws to rs and did not hem until buttonholes and buttons completed. Also eliminated all slip stitching.
- I needed to do some pattern drafting because I misplaced the front yoke pattern piece. I really needed to scrimp on the tie belt due to lack of fabric. A fun make.
Navy Stripe Banded Hem Shirt
My TNT shirt pattern, Kwik Sew 3555 (OOP)
adapted, using Threads article August/September, 2011,
Simple Touches for Standout Blouses by Linda Lee.
- While going through sewing supplies I came across this article and thought it would work with my fabric. It was a challenge but glad I gave it a try.
- To create the bottom bands I removed 2” from shirt hems and added seam allowance to shirt and bands. The bands were stitched to shirt front and back before any construction. If I did this method again I would either interface or line bands for more body.
- I used contrast fabric for yoke, under collar, neckband and cuffs. Ribbon trim was also added to button band.
Relaxed Clay Colored Cardi
Simplicity 9374, View D
Light weight organic cotton fleece
- Made standard fitting adjustments and went from size small to extra small – it is really oversized.
- I stabilized the shoulder seams with clear elastic, eliminated pockets and interfacing.
Paisley Print Tee (see photo above)
McCalls 6964/Butterick 6848
Cotton knit with very little stretch.
This is my TNT tee pattern. I started out making a turtle neck and scratched that and went to a neckband. That also had to be nixed due to the lack of stretch. Last resort – contrast wrapped neck trim. Whew – not a fun fabric in any sense!
Navy wool/multicolor wool
- I wanted more of a structured sweater. Fabric is very stable.
- Shortened length at waist by 2” all around which widened hips and shortened jacket.
- Seam allowances 1/4” at hip area.
- Made a “dart” in vertical shoulder seams (front and back) to bring shoulders in.
- Sewed, topstitched seams open and trimmed to reduce bulk.
- Didn’t want facings so finished neck with bias binding and turned under center front.
The Whittaker by Merchant & Mills
- I was attracted by the pattern when I saw it in a Foldline post (they do a great job of grouping like patterns and reviewing them).
- Made the short version to pattern. Bodice is faced with lining fabric. No other lining.
- Fold-in facings at sides weren’t well marked (IMHO) so it took some fiddling to get it to lie flat. Ended up stitching it down to reduce bulk.
- Jury’s out as to whether it will become a uniform or a one off 🙂
KS 3555 OOP-purchased easily on Etsy
Cotton-not quite quilting/not quite lawn, nice hand
- After a disastrous attempt at using SBCC’s Harvey Shirt, I went back to KS 3555 to see if I still liked it as much as I once had. I do!! Love the techniques and drafting. Just need to add an inch to length of sleeves next time.
- No bust dart, casual fit without being slouchy. Fold on placket, burrito roll yoke.
Clara Leggings by Jalie
- Thinking I had the right pattern, because I had already made a shortie legging, I made a length adjustment and cut out the pattern.
- Unfortunately, I didn’t pay enough attention to the stretch of the fabric. They’re moving on to a smaller daughter. Cool pattern, tho!
December 2021 Garment Sewing Group
Wednesday, December 8, 10:30, Treadle Yard Goods, St. Paul
Thursday,December 9, 10:30, First Sewing, Bloomington
Saturday,December 11, Treadle Yard Goods, St. Paul