Another wonderful week of meetings despite weather challenges! It is such a pleasure to get together with like minded people and talk about sewing. And afterwards at lunch, too!
Check out the article in Minneapolis/St. Paul Magazine about all the wonderful fabric store options in the metro area! Old news for us but about time everyone else hears about it 🙂
Garment Sewing Group-January 2023
1. Standard petite adjustments were made as well as a narrow shoulder adjustment and overall garment length by 1 inch.
2. The back hem was made even to the front so that the wrong side of the floral print would not be visible.
3. Instead of slip stitching the inside collar, I added a bias strip to cover neck edge.
4. I basted a contrast facing to right front then had my serger cut at basting stitch line. Then the the facing was wrapped around serger stitch to have contrast from facing show and again not have wrong side of navy print visible. The trim was stitched in the ditch to secure.
5. Contrast cuffs were added to sleeves.
Green Plaid Shirt
1. Determined size then did fitting adjustments, made a muslin and then started over. Needed to go down two sizes. – it is very oversized.
2. Generally the pattern has very good construction techniques but it does go from 3/8” to 1/4” seam allowances so you must pay attention. Also there is a lot of hand basting that could be replaced by serging an edge and press under.
3. This was a fun but challenging make. Too many pattern fit adjustments were needed and that affected the neck opening and slide slits a bit. Also, plaid fabric probably wasn’t the best choice when matching seams.
1. This a TNT pattern, especially when using up leftovers.
2. For this make I sewed the rst of neckband to wrong side of tee and then topstitched the band at neck edge.
1. Features: bust and bodice back darts, skirt is more a-line, fold over placket, simple turn under sleeve placket.
2. Started with a medium size bodice and large skirt-bodice snug so redrew lines and cut a large size for bodice.
3. Sleeves are very similar to the Burda pattern. Turning under the placket was quick and easy, especially with the tencel. Sleeve cap less shaped than Burda.
4. Fold under placket was another time saver.
5. Good instructions, lots of information, mostly clear 🙂 Happy with my fabric choice.=
1. Features: bust darts only, straighter skirt, not as much shape, folded sew-on placket, traditional sleeve placket.
2. Made size 16 bodice and 18 skirt. Fit well.
3. Sleeve has a well shaped cap, took a little easing with the twill.
4. Pattern instructions were misplaced so followed Grainline instructions.
1. Burda has a “new look” which seems to mean even less instructions! But still the same great drafting.
2. Narrow-but not too-turtle neck. Long sleeve has ruching with a strip of elastic but not interested.
3. I sized up as it seemed to be close fitting, happy I did.
1. Similar to Laundry Day Tee made previously except raglan instead of set in sleeves.
2. Pattern calls for a zip with the turtle neck but not necessary with rayon knit. Turtle neck very similar in size to the Burda tee above.
3. I like the fit of the New Look better than Love Notions Laundry Day.
February Garment Sewing Group
Wednesday, February 8, 10:30 at Quilters Haven in Rosemount
Thursday, February 9, 10:30 at First Sewing in Bloomington
Saturday, February 11, 10:30 at the Sewing Lounge in St. Paul